Basic problem description:
I get a blackscreen and also stuck at the ribbon when the system first starts up… I cannot get to the XMB and the system just hangs. This is apparently happening to people who have a 750GB Hard Drive in their System or a 1TB. (People who have upgraded their hard drive through their own means) I have a 1TB hard drive in mine.
- No confirmation of if this is only affecting PS3s containing hard drives at or over 500GB in capacity. In fact there are reports that PS3s containing hard drives of lower capacities may also be affected.
- Fat or slim model doesn’t seem to be a factor, both models have been reported to be affected by the glitch.
- Do NOT format your hard drive if you are affected by the glitch, as there may still be a chance of restoring your PS3 to proper functionality without doing so.
- If you still possess your original PS3 hard drive and reinstall it in an attempt to restore your PS3’s functionality, do NOT download the firmware update again, otherwise you may simply render it dysfunctional as well.
- If you have PS+ and have automatic updates enabled, disable them ASAP. The option to do this should be found under System Settings.
I sincerely hope this helps out anyone trying to get up to speed on the situation and any affected by this glitch.
Edit: Thanks for mentioning that D-Monstrosity! Updated this post (4th bullet point) with that advice.
(Repost from the PS3 subreddit post, thought it might help here too.)
The firmware update v4.45 has reportedly been pulled (making v4.41 the current up to date firmware version), likely as a result of this glitch.
Update: Thanks to AriesK47:
For those with bricked systems Tomorrow a patch should come out to fix this. All you need to do is download it to your USB drive and power up the PS3 in safe mode and install update from USB.
Step 1: Turn off the PLAYSTATION 3 by holding the Power button on the front of the unit till the Power light is red.
Step 2: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, meaning the PLAYSTATION 3 is powering on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep, indicating the video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a third beep and the system will power off (Power light is red).
Step 3: Touch and hold the Power button, you will hear the first beep, again for the PLAYSTATION 3 to power on. Continue to hold the Power button and after about 5 seconds, you will hear a second beep for video reset. Continue to hold the Power button and after about another 5 seconds you will hear a quick double beep. At that point release the Power button. If you succeeded in activating Safe Mode, you will see a message on the screen saying, “Connect the controller using a USB cable and then press the PS button.”